Monday, June 14, 2004
By Eric Alterman of Altercation, apropos of the publication of the new Salon interview with Thomas Powers (linked below):
It’s hard to say which is the best representation of what this war is doing to and has done to this country. Is it:Choose one. Remember to justify your answer. Neatness counts.
- the lies that were told to get us into it?
- the fact that we are picking up innocent people off the street and torturing them?
- that we have suspended the most basic civil liberties in our own country?
- that the work of professional intelligence agencies has been corrupted?
- that we have drawn resources away from the fight against Al Qaida which has completely regrouped?
- that we are creating more terrorists?
- that more than seven hundred Americans have been killed and thousands have been seriously injured?
- that thousands of Iraqis have been killed but nobody is keeping an account of the numbers of their deaths?
- that we are now more hated around the world than we have ever been?
- that we have spent hundreds of billions of dollars while actually decreasing our security?
- that we are doing all this while starving the most crucial homeland security programs?
- that everyone who told the truth about what was being planned has been dismissed and seen their characters attacked?