<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, September 04, 2004

Your Next SLOTUS 

Elizabeth Edwards gave an interview to the NYT Magazine and, faced with a string of condescending questions, proved to be suprisingly waggish. We give this dame our whole-hearted endorsement:
You've been making an effort to meet with groups of women. It reminds me of Tupperware parties.

These are not Tupperware women. There are 22 million unmarried women who did not vote last time -- women who would not let someone else order their food in a restaurant or pick out their clothing. So why would they let someone else choose their president?

When you were young, you wanted to be an English professor.

I was an English major in college, and then I went to graduate school in English at the University of North Carolina for three years. I still have my notes if someone wants to write the dissertation.

Have you ever met the Cheneys?

I sat next to Lynne at the breakfast. I don't think it's possible to find very many women with whom I disagree on so many subjects as I do with Lynne Cheney.

What do you think Bush is most hampered by?

I think self-knowledge is the rarest trait in a human being.

Do you get angry when your husband's credentials are attacked?

Anger is not constructive. I was just driving by a church, and the sign outside said, ''The person who makes you mad controls you.''

Do you find it hard to play the role of the submissive wife?

I didn't know I was.

What do you think of the title second lady of the United States, which sounds so matronly?

It's better than the acronym, which is slotus. That sounds like something that lives under a rock.

| | Technorati Links | to Del.icio.us