Sunday, October 31, 2004

Hunter S. Thompson: I Remember Bush 

Courtesy of Zemblan patriot B.K.: We thought Hunter S. Thompson's earlier comments on the incumbent President were perhaps a touch on the harsh side, but we see now that he was only limbering up. From the Independent:
"I remember Bush as a kind of a butt-boy for the smart people. This was in the late 1970s, when he was in his drunken-fool period. He couldn't handle liquor. He knew who I was, at that time, because I had a reputation as a writer. I knew he was part of the Bush dynasty. But he was nothing, he offered nothing, and he promised nothing. He had no humour. He was insignificant in every way and consequently I didn't pay much attention to him. But when he passed out in my bathtub," Thompson adds, "then I noticed him. I'd been in another room, talking to the bright people. I had to have him taken away" . . . .

He is examining not, as I'd expected, the political section of his vast library, but the shelves devoted to legal studies. He retrieves a large volume entitled Black's Law Dictionary, opens it, and begins to read.

"'Imbecility: a more or less advanced feebleness of the intellectual faculties' - Are you with me so far? 'That weakness of mind which, without depriving the person entirely of his reason, leaves only the faculty of conceiving the most common and ordinary ideas. It varies in degree from merely excessive folly to an almost total vacuity of mind.' That's our boy."

The sub-headings under "Insanity" in Black's, Thompson explains, "define the legal, not the medical, condition of madness. I chose Imbecility just now but there is also... let's see now... 'Derangement: manifested by delusions, incapacity to reason, or by uncontrollable impulses...' Shit, yes. 'In law, such a want of intelligence as prevents a man from comprehending the nature and consequences of his acts.'"

"Ronald Reagan..." Steadman ventures.

"Well," Thompson says, "he was out of his mind. He had mentally departed even before his second term, when he was wandering around, clapping himself. Although I always had a soft spot for him, because he started as a sportswriter and his wife gave the best head in Hollywood."

Thompson returns to his dictionary.

"Dipsomania... Pyromania... George knows all about those... Mania Fanatica: 'a form of insanity characterised by a morbid state of religious feeling...' Need I go on?" . . . .

"I never thought," Thompson says, "that I would ever see a president worse than Richard Nixon. But he is the worst president in American history, this one. Because he is the dumbest. And because he has destroyed, in four years, what it took two centuries to build up. He has taken this country from a prosperous nation at peace to a dead-broke nation at war. We are losing this stupid, fraudulent war in Iraq and every nation in the world despises us, except for a handful of corrupt Brits, like that simpering little whore, Tony Blair."

| | Technorati Links | to Del.icio.us