<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Then Karl Rove Talked Him into Settling for Dan Rather's Scalp 

Excerpts from Eason Jordan's letter of resignation, dated February 11, 2005:
After 23 years at CNN, I have decided to resign in an effort to prevent CNN from being unfairly tarnished by the controversy over conflicting accounts of my recent remarks regarding the alarming number of journalists killed in Iraq.

I have devoted my professional life to helping make CNN the most trusted and respected news outlet in the world, and I would never do anything to compromise my work or that of the thousands of talented people it is my honor to work alongside.

While my CNN colleagues and my friends in the U.S. military know me well enough to know I have never stated, believed, or suspected that U.S. military forces intended to kill people they knew to be journalists, my comments on this subject in a World Economic Forum panel discussion were not as clear as they should have been.

I never meant to imply U.S. forces acted with ill intent when U.S. forces accidentally killed journalists, and I apologize to anyone who thought I said or believed otherwise.
Today, thanks to Zemblan patriot K.Z., we have an opportunity to appreciate the finer points of Mr. Bush's approach to the members of the Fourth Estate. To summarize: If you can't buy 'em, bomb 'em:
US President George W. Bush planned to bomb pan-Arab television broadcaster al-Jazeera, British newspaper the Daily Mirror said, citing a Downing Street memo marked "Top Secret".

The five-page transcript of a conversation between Bush and British Prime Minister Tony Blair reveals that Blair talked Bush out of launching a military strike on the station, unnamed sources told the daily which is against the war in Iraq . . . .

The Mirror quoted an unnamed British government official as saying Bush's threat was "humorous, not serious" . . . .

A source told the Mirror: "The memo is explosive and hugely damaging to Bush.

"He made clear he wanted to bomb al-Jazeera in Qatar and elsewhere. Blair replied that would cause a big problem.

"There's no doubt what Bush wanted to do -- and no doubt Blair didn't want him to do it."

Another source said: "Bush was deadly serious, as was Blair. That much is absolutely clear from the language used by both men" . . . .

The newspaper said that the memo "casts fresh doubt on claims that other attacks on al-Jazeera were accidents". It cited the 2001 direct hit on the channel's Kabul office.

Blair's former defence minister Peter Kilfoyle challenged Downing Street to publish the transcript. "I hope the prime minister insists this memo be published," he told the Mirror. "It gives an insight into the mindset of those whe were architects of the war."
Never give a sucker an even break, smarten up a chump, or underestimate the capacity of the Bush administration for sheer evil.

Categories: , , , ,

| | Technorati Links | to Del.icio.us